COVID-19 PHASE 2 RESTART PLAN: JUNE 22, 2020
We are humbled by the incredible acts of mindfulness and community we have witnessed over the past several months, both in the lives of our staff and students and within our own communities, as the world has wrestled with how best to manage and mitigate the COVID-19 pandemic. It has been nothing short of inspiring to see people come together in the what is, for most of us, the greatest global and personal challenge we have ever faced.
Since the beginning of the current crisis, Story Institute has been carefully following the advice and guidelines of B C Provincial Health Minister Dr. Bonnie Henry and the honourable MLA Minister of Health Adrian Dix, with particular focus on social distancing and flattening the curve. We are very grateful for the kind and disciplined approach our Province has taken during this time.
As an accredited educational institution, Story Institute has always had a deep commitment to sound educational, business, health, and safety practices. It is also true that we are required adhere to the same guidelines and regulations as any college or university in British Columbia, as mandated by PTIB and the Ministry of Advanced Education of Canada.
As of May 19, 2020, Story Institute is one of the organizations that health authorities have deemed to fall under the phase 2 stage of re-opening. We know this is by no means intended as a full return to a pre-COVID operations and that it will require everyone to continue doing their part en route to Phases 3 and 4. The safety of our community, students, instructors and everyone in our extended circles, will always be of the highest priority for us.
With this in mind, we have chosen to add an extra layer of safety and caution by waiting until June 22 to reconvene in-studio classes. Meanwhile, we will be working closely with WorkSafe BC, BC Health, Vancouver Coastal Health Authority, the BC Centre for Disease Control, and PTIB to regularly assess and comply with any required changes.
- If any student or staff member displays signs of illness, we will be requiring them to stay home until it is safe to return. (Students will be permitted to resume studies, tuition paid will continue to be applied to studies until completed, and classes will be offered to make up for any class content missed. Your safety and the safety of everyone in our community won’t come at your personal expense.)
- Windows throughout the studio will remain prior to and during our “open hours” to maintain air flow.
- Door handles throughout the studio will be sanitized and cleaned prior to open each day and prior to any new group of students coming in that day.
- Chairs will be spaced in advance to ensure proper physical distancing is maintained.
- Hand sanitizer will be available in every room of the studio with boxes of tissue and paper towels also available throughout.
- A maximum of 8 students per class will be our policy during the Phase 2 stage. This is an added safety measure and 50% of what we are permitted to do.
- No more than two classes will run at any one time to ensure minimal contact with those outside your specific group.
- Classes will be spaced 30 minutes apart to allow for the studio to be cleaned between each group.
- There won’t be any communal dishes or cutlery or glasses during Phase 2. Everyone will be required to bring in their own food and beverage supplies as needed and must be taken home every day.
- You may use the refrigerator but there will not be any sharing of milk or other commonly shared items during this phase.
- Washrooms will be cleaned regularly throughout the hours we are open.
- The kitchen and two washrooms will also serve as hand washing stations that will be used by everyone throughout the day.
- The equipment will be operated by 1-2 instructors max during phase 2 and it will be cleaned thoroughly between use.
- Disposable gloves are available for any staff or students who wish to use them for anything while at the studio.
- The photocopier and all other studio equipment will be used exclusively by the staff and instructors.
- We will maintain appropriate physical distancing in all areas of the studio, including during any breaks in class.
- We will continue physical distancing within the classrooms and the lesson plans have been modified to allow us to do exactly what we’ve always done but with the recommended 6ft. of distancing.
- We will be continually maintaining extremely small social circles on a staff and instructor level of Phase 2 and will recommend our students do the same until we get a green light from BC Health to lift restrictions further.
- Everyone must wash their hands upon arriving in studio for a minimum of 20 seconds. (This includes if you go outside during a class for any reason).
- Wearing a mask has been listed as a personal choice here in British Columbia. We will have some available on site and students and instructors are welcome to bring in their own if they prefer.
- Students won’t be sharing materials and anything that is often printed and shared in advance will now be emailed in advance with each student only handling their own materials.
If you have any suggestions for additional ways we can create a safer and/or more conducive space please forward them to: firstname.lastname@example.org